If you want to set up your studio one of these fine days, make sure you start by investing in the best budget studio monitors. The best thing about these units is that they are compact yet powerful enough to give you the best performance.
Even though affordable, they are well-built using high-quality materials to ensure reliable sound quality and performance. Most of these studio monitors are sleek and stylish to fit nicely into your studio.
Also, they come in various styles, sizes, and even colors for you to select from based on your tastes and preferences. So if you have a tight budget but still need the best studio monitor, have a look at the following top 10 best budget studio monitors reviews in 2020.
- List of The Best Budget Studio Monitors
- #1. Edifier Studio Monitor Speaker, R1280T
- #2. Mackie Studio Monitor, 3-inch (CR3)
- #3. Presonus Eris Near Field Studio Monitor (Pair) (E3.5)
- #4. JBL First-Generation Professional LSR305 Powered Studio Monitor
- #5. Edifier Powered Studio Monitor R980T 4″ (Pair)
- #6. Rockville 5.25″ Powered USB Studio Monitor Speakers (APM5C)
- #7. KRK RP5G3 ROKIT 5 G3 2-Way Powered Studio Monitor
- #8. Samson Studio Monitor, 3-Inch (M30)
- #9. Monoprice Stage Right (605500) Studio Monitor Speakers
- #10. JBL Next-Generation Professional 305P MkII
- How to Choose the Best Budget Studio Monitors
List of The Best Budget Studio Monitors
#1. Edifier Studio Monitor Speaker, R1280T
Equipped with 2 AUX input, the Edifier Studio Monitor Speaker, R1280T allows you to connect two devices at the same time with no switching or plugging. It has a 13mm silk dome tweeter and 4-inch full-range unit to deliver studio-quality sound.
This unit is made from high-quality MDF wood with wood effect vinyl finishing for extra strength and longevity. It boasts a calibrated flared bass reflex port and a 4-inch driver for bass to deliver rich, robust bass. This speaker comes with a remote control to allow you to adjust the volume from your fingertips.
There are buttons on the side of the speaker to enable you to customize the treble and bass according to your needs. And for you to buy confidently, this speaker is backed by a 2-year warranty on parts and labor.
- Makes a great addition to any home
- This studio speaker comes with a variety of cables
- It has a great build quality for a budget-friendly price
- Produces loud and clear sound
- This speaker is not the best for higher volumes for parties
#2. Mackie Studio Monitor, 3-inch (CR3)
The Mackie Studio Monitor has a studio-quality design that produces sound and performance suitable for entertainment and multi-media creation. It has professional-grade components to ensure optimized sonic performance. This studio speaker features a convenient front-panel volume knob to enable you to adjust the volume according to your preferences.
The volume knobs are well lit to allow for easy visibility and added aesthetics. This unit has a versatile design to ensure you can switch from video editing to music listening in no time. Yet, it remains compact and affordable without the high price tag of the more expensive studio monitors.
This studio monitor boasts an ultra-wide frequency range, which is just perfect for full-range multimedia. Besides, it comes in various sizes and styles to enable you to pick from depending on your budget and preferences.
- This speaker is easy to use and works well
- It looks stylish to go well with most interior decors
- This studio speaker is available in two color choices
- Seems solidly built to last several uses
- The backside of the speaker may get a little hot; otherwise, it works well
#3. Presonus Eris Near Field Studio Monitor (Pair) (E3.5)
Being the only monitor in its class with acoustic tuning, the Presonus Eris Near Field Studio Monitor enables you to get pristine sound quality in any room. It has an industrial design that makes it look as great as it sounds.
This monitor is equipped with 3.5-inch woven composite drivers to produce a more powerful bass response with a more accurate overall sound. It comes with stereo aux input and headphone jack for optimum versatility.
This speaker is made with the volume power knob at the front panel to allow for easy access and convenience. It has output-current limiting, RF interference, turn on/off transient, as well as over-temperature protection features for safety. Also, this unit is complete with a crossover frequency of 2.kHz to deliver reliable performance.
- This unit comes in several sizes to choose from
- It has easy-to-use controls
- Connects to virtually any line-level source
- Offers smooth high-end and a wide sweet spot at a budget-friendly price
- The cabinet build quality isn’t the best and needs improvements
#4. JBL First-Generation Professional LSR305 Powered Studio Monitor
With the JBL First-Generation Professional LSR305 Powered Studio Monitor you don’t have to be right in front of the speakers to make accurate adjustments to your mix. This is because it has a room-friendly design to ensure it covers the entire room.
This speaker features the broad 3-series spot to deliver neutral sound across an unusually large working space. It comes with balanced XLR and 1/4″ TRS inputs to provide flexible connectivity.
This unit has an increased HF detail for you to experience greater depth and ambiance in recordings. Hence, the subtle details can be heard even in a dense mix. Furthermore, this speaker comes with a 1power cord and a quick set up guide to allow for simple installation and use.
- Comes with 4 peel-off rubber pads
- Available in three styles to select from
- The sound is clear and incredible
- This unit is simple, stylish, and durably-made
- This model is not ideal for serious audio work but it works fine for home use
#5. Edifier Powered Studio Monitor R980T 4″ (Pair)
Compact in size, the Edifier Powered Studio Monitor R980T 4″ is an efficient desktop solution for desktops and small spaces. It produces a total of 21 watts to give you a well-rounded stereo sound quality.
This unit contains a 13mm tweeter and 4” bass driver that replicates the enjoyable sound for listeners. It is calibrated with a flared bass reflex port to result in rich sound that will make your work easy and accurate.
The flared reflex port is housed in a complete wooden medium-density fiberboard that looks good in any space. This speaker comes with dual inputs to give you optimum versatility. Besides, it has an adjustable bass to enable you to customize according to your needs.
- This speaker is well worth the money
- It comes as a pair for added convenience
- Offers a convenient connection to any device
- This unit is backed by a 2-year warranty to boost your confidence in buying
- This speaker may require external volume control for lower listening levels
#6. Rockville 5.25″ Powered USB Studio Monitor Speakers (APM5C)
Fill the room with game-changing sound with the Rockville 5.25″ Powered USB Studio Monitor Speaker. It comes in a pack of two to give you optimum versatility and great value for money. Each speaker undergoes a computer-generated sound check test in production to ensure it upholds high standards and specifications.
This speaker is RoHS and CE Compliant to enable you to buy with confidence. It is a 2-way 250watt powered USB studio monitor in a classic wood finish. Therefore, the speaker will look good and attractive to blend nicely with any existing studio décor.
The enclosure is 0.5-inch thick while the front board is a full 1-inch thickness to deliver the ultimate best sound quality. Also, this unit is complete with volume control as well as bass/treble control to allow you to customize sound production.
- This studio speaker allows you to adjust the low and high frequency independently
- It is available in three colors for you to select from
- This unit is 110v compatible with SMPS technology
- Includes a noise rejection cable to connect the 2 speakers together
- This studio monitor set is not the best for professional-level recording mixdowns
#7. KRK RP5G3 ROKIT 5 G3 2-Way Powered Studio Monitor
Looking for accuracy and professional performance for mixing, recording, playback, and mastering, the KRK RP5G3 ROKIT 5 G3 2-Way Powered Studio Monitor is your go-to. It comes with a 1” soft-dome tweeter and 5″ glass-Aramid composite woofer.
As a result, this speaker delivers an extended frequency response of between 45Hz and 35kHz with maximum clarity. It is designed with maximum connections to ensure it integrates easily into most systems.
There are high and low-frequency controls to help tailor the monitors to their location and user preference. Moreover, this unit is complete with propriety waveguide optimized for superior imaging.
- Works well with a variety of musical genres
- This unit has innovating and durable engineering
- It boasts a black vinyl finish that looks great in any space
- This studio monitor is lightweight and compact enough for small spaces
- This unit may come with a few manufacturer defects; however, this is replaceable
#8. Samson Studio Monitor, 3-Inch (M30)
Designed with rear-panel RCA inputs, the Samson Studio Monitor allows you to connect to audio interfaces, mixers, computers, or mobile devices. Although small, this speaker delivers a robust sound and a wide sound stage. This is all due to the 3-inch copolymer woofer and 3/4-inch silk-dome tweeter encased in a custom waveguide.
This unit is built with an internal amplifier to enable you to enjoy big sounds at all times. Therefore, it is ideal for producing tracks, listening to music, gaming, and watching videos.
This studio monitor has wood construction with high-quality components to ensure extra strength and durability. It boasts a bass boost to help you bring up the bass to suit your individual needs. What’s more, this unit is available in two styles and multiple sizes to suit various needs and preferences.
- This unit has a 1/8-inch headphone output
- It is lightweight and compact for optimum versatility
- Produces loud sound without sacrificing clarity
- Comes as a pair to give you great value for money
- The Bluetooth connection glitches a bit; otherwise, the sound is good
#9. Monoprice Stage Right (605500) Studio Monitor Speakers
What you hear is what you get when you have the Monoprice Stage Right (605500). Studio Monitor Speakers It has a studio-ready frequency response to allow mixers to get the real sound of what is being recorded. This unit uses bi-amped power to provide 30-watt to the tweeter and 40-watt to the woofer.
Thus, it minimizes power loss with passive crossovers and reduced distortion. With bass Kevlar drivers, this studio monitor speaker hits harder, extend lower frequencies, and handle greater power with no ear fatiguing distortion.
It comes with a 1-inch silk dome tweeter with a 4-position room compensating switch to keep mid and high frequencies neutral. Furthermore, it is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee for you to buy with confidence.
- Available in two sizes to choose from
- This speaker comes as a pair in one single purchase
- Produces very clean and balanced sound
- Each monitor includes two separate power amplifiers
- This studio monitor is a bit expensive but you get what you pay for
#10. JBL Next-Generation Professional 305P MkII
The JBL Next-Generation Professional 305P MkII has undergone several design improvements to result in greater low-frequency linearity with an optimized transient response and lower harmonic distortion. It has 80 watts of total power from dual integrated custom Class-D amplifiers for exceptional sound quality.
This studio monitor is equipped with image control waveguide to provide detailed imaging and a broad, room-friendly sweet spot. This enables you to experience greater depth and ambiance in a recording.
This unit is designed to work with the woofer to ensure an outstanding deep bass response at all playback levels. It boasts a double-flared frequency port built to deliver better low-frequency extension and minimized turbulence. Better yet, this unit is well-made and has gone through a 100-hour full-power test to ensure several years of reliability.
- This unit is sleek and modern to provide a visual upgrade to any studio
- It has been approved for use near magnetically sensitive equipment
- Offers an outstanding performance and an enjoyable mix experience
- Produces clear sound with phenomenal bass
- This studio monitor could use some improvements
How to Choose the Best Budget Studio Monitors
If you are unsure about what makes the best studio monitors, the following are some of the things you need to consider
Notably, studio monitors come in various sizes and the one you choose largely depends on the space you have. If you have a small space, consider studio monitors that are equally slow to fit on your desk space and if you have a large space then you can go for a bigger unit.
The right studio monitor should have high-quality construction. This is because the quality of the speaker cabinets has a direct impact on sound quality. Therefore, the cabinets should be made from dense and stiff materials like wood metal, or dense plastic to deliver robust sound quality.
Even though the studio monitors included above are budget-friendly, the price still varies significantly from one unit to another. Hence, you need to choose an item that is within your budget. Also, just keep in mind that some products may attract high price tags due to the features and accessories that come with it, so choose wisely.
The best budget studio monitor may be a bit tricky for you to choose, especially if you have no special skills or have not used one before. And since we don’t want you stressing about such simple things in life, we have made the above compilation to make your search simple. The above reviews are made up of high-quality products that have the highest ratings on the market. So make sure you read through carefully to identify the right studio monitor for all your needs.